Photo

hamster squeaking

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 leigh ann

leigh ann

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 04:08 AM

hello to you all
i wanted some advice i got another hammy a few days ago and put him into a rotastack cage and the trouble is that he is squeaking when i try to pet him and he has nearly bit me and i wondered what was causing this as he does not do it all the time i will read the taming advice on the other page but just wondered if any one had any advice, as i want to tame him and not let him get so i cannot handle him. have not had this problem with any of the other hammys i have had :rolleyes:
any advice thanks

leigh ann

#2 monkeysmom

monkeysmom

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 04:39 AM

This is normal behaviour...your hammie is just frightened. The best thing you can do is just follow the taming guide. The poor little one is probably just more timid than your previous hammies.

Congratulations! And, Welcome to HH!

~ monkeysmom :wave:

#3 candy girl

candy girl

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:45 AM

Yeah it's scared.

#4 monkeysmom

monkeysmom

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:54 AM

Yeah it's scared.

Just a gentle reminder to everyone. I hope you don't mind Candy Girl, but I am going to use your post as an example! :goodvibes:

In the Hamster Care Sections of the board, it is very important that these threads be kept clean and concise. We are much more lenient in the other sections of the boards, but not in the Hamster Care sections.

This post is actually considered "spamming" in the H.C. section, because it does not contribute any "new" information. There has been a lot of spamming going on lately in the H.C. sections of the boards so I wanted to show everyone an example because a lot of new members seem to be doing it unknowingly.

So it you could please watch this....the Moderating Team would greatly appreciate it! In fact, if you see some of your own 'spams' across the boards...please feel free to delete them and save us some work! Also, just so you know, the more 'spam' we see you post across the boards....the more it will work against you becoming a mod (if that is something you are interested in).

Thanks everyone! And a special thanks in advance to Candy Girl since I used her post as an example! :hug: :goodvibes:

Have a great night everyone!

~ Monkeysmom

#5 berrylux

berrylux

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 02:01 AM

Ok, Here's a link to hamster's body language.
Squeaking doesn't always mean it is scared, my dwarf squeaks and hops around the cage when I take out her wheel.
http://www.dhassa.co.uk/hamsters/language.htm

#6 monkeysmom

monkeysmom

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 05:15 AM

Thank you for correcting me Berrylux! :goodvibes: You are correct...hamsters do not always squeak because they are scared, I just 'assumed' that was the case because the hamster is new. I should have elaborated more and I am glad you had the backup info! :D Thanks also for posting the link!

~ monkeysmom :wave:

#7 leigh ann

leigh ann

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 02:15 AM

:rolleyes:

thanks for all the advice my new hammie has stopped squeaking for the time being but i will follow the advice still just to make sure he is happy

best wishes and happy new year leigh ann

#8 Pinkflame

Pinkflame

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:33 AM

When I got my Siberian Dwarf Hamsters, I would touch one of them and I would be screamed at. Your hamster will get over it, don't worry. It's kind of like a "stage".

#9 Hamster191

Hamster191

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 06:22 AM

:fluffy: I've got the same problem, it really puts you down but i know that i really love mine so don't give up

Edited by Hamster191, 01 January 2005 - 07:11 PM.

#10 moonlithaze

moonlithaze

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:02 AM

My hamster is making a noise when it wakes up and now it made it before it started eating. I wouldn't say it's a squeaking noise. It's a low pitched noise. What could be making him do that?

#11 Gadgacun

Gadgacun

Baby Hamster

• 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

nibbling has probably nothing to do with it she/he just wanted to bite somthing!! but the squeeking noise could b serious my hamster has it now and her breathing has gone weird and she is not accepting food from me and i think she is being sick. if it gets worse we are taking her to a vet and i recomend you do to.

#12 souffle

souffle

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:31 PM

Gadacum this thread is 3 years old. If your hamster has wheezy breathing and is refusing food it is important you see a vet asap. It may have a chest infection or have caught a human cold or flu. Keep it warm in the meantime and feed nutritious food such as egg, pasta, tofu, porridge etc to try and tempt it to eat. I hope it gets well soon.

#13 Sib

Sib

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

Well good thats it stopped ;)
And yes i do just think its body language type thing.Like dogs 'woof'. I suppose well thats my opinon

#14 RodentQueen

RodentQueen

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:28 AM

My Winter White/Campbell's hybrid is vocal. I mean, if he feels anything he never shuts up. I mean he screeches if anything happens AT ALL.
I moved him and his cagemate out of my room.

Also....because they have a "special" relationship. .-. Yeah they mate. They're both boys, too. I took them to a vet, specializing in rodents who confirmed it was mating behaviour. I love them, BUT I DON'T WANNA SEE THAT K. Sometimes it is cute. I call them the hubbies.

#15 Cutipink

Cutipink

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:07 AM

Once Bibi escaped and my mom was walking outside to see the problem. Bibi talk her shoe and squeaked! My friends and I were fascinated by her squeak(we didn't know hamsters could make sounds, yeah, weird right?) Well I finally figured that it was scared. :mindblowing: