Photo

Can I bath my hamster?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 bluebells

bluebells

Baby Hamster

• 37 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 01:37 AM

:mouse:Sometimes after my hamster had a diarrhoea, she looks dirty.The bathsand can't clean the stain off.So can I bath her with warm water and soap?

#2 Wan

Wan

Baby Hamster

• 45 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 01:57 AM

If your hamster has diarrhoea, I don't think giving her or him a wet bathe is good. But if your hamster is well then giving her or him a wet bathe once in a blue moon will be fine. Wet bathes shouldn't be given too frequently. Eh...at least that's what I read somewhere. Heehee.  :goodvibes:

#3 PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 07:29 AM

You shouldn't be bathing your hamster at all.  It screws up their natural oils and increases their chances of getting a cold or pneumonia, which can be deadly in the little guys.   :hypnotized:  If you have problems with diarrhea, you can use an unscented baby wipe to clean the area.  Also, take note on what he ate the night before that could've possibly caused the diarrhea, and try to avoid giving it in the future.

#4 horselover

horselover

Junior Hamster

• 189 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 07:38 AM

Well, first of all, they sell this stuff called Dri Tail that helps ward off diarreah. You just squeeze a few drops into their water. Second, you should never give a hamster a bath. They are afraid of water, and will drown. Try giving them some chinchilla sand to roll in, otherwise they should clean themselves off. If they really smell so bad its unbearable, and they really are extremely dirty, try using a damp rag to give them a rag bath with warm water (not too hot), and don't use soap, as it would most likely be poisiounous. Keep them warm and dry after this, and make sure they are not in a drafty area. It is cruical not to do more than this, because they can get diseases like hypothermia and amonia. I hope this helps you and your hammy gets better.

#5 dusty

dusty

Popstar Ham

• Admin Team
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 07:47 AM

I agree with Wan that you shdn't bath your hamster if it has diarrhoea.

On whether is it all right to bath a hamster, I believe this is a debatable question.  Doesn't mean bathing your hamster is wrong, and not bathing is right.

I do bath my hamster once in a blue moon.  Esp for those less clean ones who really smelt bad.  I personally think bathing them can help eradicate the bacteria/urine stains etc more effectively.  Otherwise the stains might cause skin irritation.  I still give them their daily sand bath and a kinda bunny powder for a dry bath.

If you decide you must bath ur hamster, don't use any normal shampoo or soap.  Use a pet moisturing shampoo so as not to wipe out the hamster's natural oils.  Keep the process fast and safe. :mouse:

#6 PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 07:52 AM

I have to disagree with the use of DriTail.  It does contain antibiotics in it, and over use of antibiotics can build up a resistance to them which could mean big trouble if your hamster ever needs one of those antibiotics to fight an infection.  I think there is a med out there for diarrhea in hamsters that doesn't contain the antibiotics.  But I'm not familiar with its name.

#7 PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 08:10 AM

In the 20 years that I've had hamsters, I've never found it necessary to give one a bath.  The only time I've ever had a smelly hamster, it was the result of using pine bedding, which was changed due to safety reasons for the hamster, and also my allergies to the pine.  And I remember reading on the American Hamster Associations site not to bathe a hamster unless advised by a vet.  So if a bathless hamster is good enough for a show hamster, it's good enough for my pet hamster.

As for the moisturising shampoo, I do hope that it is either scentless or your hamster is in a very well ventilated cage.  I know what it's like to walk in the bathroom after my son has hit the aftershave bottle a little to hard.  And excessive exposure to strong odors can cause damage to olfactory nerves.  

#8 dusty

dusty

Popstar Ham

• Admin Team
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 08:22 AM

I use a pet shampoo.  Yah it's scentless.  Sometimes I don't even use shampoo, just rinse with water.  Only reason why I bath my hamsters is when they have a strong urine stentch.  I don't want them to smell and also do not want skin irritation.  Generally I do leave them along.  And there is one time one of my hamster fell into a pipe (very very dirty)... :faint:

#9 PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 08:34 AM

I can agree with bathing your hamster if he's gotten himself extremely dirty from an outside area.  Too much bacteria could be crawling around on him to take the chances of letting him groom himself, plus if he got into grease or other chemical that could be harmful for him.  As for the urine smell, I've got a big box that I let them roam around in.  I place in some toys that don't fit in their cages, a little bit of food (which they hoard instead of eating), and either a cucumber slice, apple slice, or banana slice.  They each go in it 3 days a week for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on when they lose interest in being there.  I make sure to let them go potty before putting them in there, and they've very rarely made me look for a new 'playground'.  lol  But this time out of their cage plus the snuggling time (which is anytime I catch them 'out and about') seems to eliminate their urine smell.  And I've got one who insists on urinating in his nest, which I clean every other day.

#10 horselover

horselover

Junior Hamster

• 189 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 08:30 PM

I use carefresh too. I really love it. I also try to wash my cages weekly. My lil siss, (who jsut joined, by the way), has to do it even more, you don't even wanna put your hand in the cange if she doesnt cuz its literally damp, especially her sleepinhig spot. I didnt know dri tail had antibiotics...
We only use it once on a new hamster's water. got to run

#11 Peaceful_Hammie

Peaceful_Hammie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 10:56 PM

You should never ever bathe a hamster.

Hamsters are not as use and cannot take baths with water and soap. Hamsters who are bathed can get pnuemonia or a common cold which they can die from. Never you should bathe them. Hamsters can take sand baths. Hamsters like sath baths, and you can buy chinchilla or regular sand, and pour on a dish. Hamsters taking sand baths would be benifical to them as their fur. No chinchilla dust because the hamster can simply breathe in the dust and would cause respiratory problems.

Dri-Tail is nothing but a waste of money. It never cures the Wet Tail disease. The only medication that cures the Wet tail is a perscription of the vet for a type of medicine or antibiotic.

#12 Peaceful_Hammie

Peaceful_Hammie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 10:57 PM

I use a pet shampoo.  Yah it's scentless.  Sometimes I don't even use shampoo, just rinse with water.  Only reason why I bath my hamsters is when they have a strong urine stentch.  I don't want them to smell and also do not want skin irritation.  Generally I do leave them along.  And there is one time one of my hamster fell into a pipe (very very dirty)... :faint:

Syrians or dwarves urine in large amounts, still it's not and exception to bathe the hamster.

#13 hammyluver

hammyluver

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 07:22 AM

I have never given either of my hamsters a bath. When i take mine out and put her on my bed and she really smells, she cleans herself while i clean her cage. We seem to clean together. Then usually when her cage is clean, she rolls around in her brand new clean cage to get the nice fresh smell of. it's actually pretty cute. She hasn't rolled around for a while though so i think she's cleaning herself better or something. (if not, she does it in her petting zone, but i can't see what she does up there because she is strong enough to open the top of the cage so there is a text book and three other books on there.

#14 PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 02:13 PM

You should never ever bathe a hamster.

Peaceful, don't you think that never is too strong of a word to use considering the fact that vet treatment for a  hamster with mites consists of using a mite shampoo?  I agree bathing for unnecessary reasons is bad, but there are a few cases that a bath is needed.

#15 Peaceful_Hammie

Peaceful_Hammie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 03:17 PM

Still there is many other ways of treating mites. Mites can be treated also with powders. Other than mites or skin problems, tell another reason if emergency bathing is needed.