Photo

Do hamsters have rabies?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 geminifive

geminifive

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:23 AM

Hello, I just wanna know: Do hamsters have rabies? I got my hamster from a friend who breeds them... :scratchchin:

#2 geminifive

geminifive

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:24 AM

oh yeah, he's a dwarf hamster, still a baby. It bit me and my finger bled. He's getting tamed though, he's biting less and less everyday.

#3 SouthPaw

SouthPaw

I AM smarter than a 5th grader !

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,812 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:30 AM

No no no, hamster don't have rabies! ;D There are no known cases of rabies in humans caused from a bite from rats, mice, hamsters, etc. It would be especially rare for a pet to have rabies. ;)

#4 Haruka

Haruka

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:27 AM

Heh... that's what everyone thinks. But I don't think they have rabies if they come from a good breeder.

#5 geminifive

geminifive

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 12:21 PM

okay. So far, no symptoms of rabies are happening to me. That means... there's no rabies! Thank you!

#6 Emmie

Emmie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:21 PM

Hamsters cant get rabies, only dogs! LOL ;)

#7 SouthPaw

SouthPaw

I AM smarter than a 5th grader !

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,812 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 06:56 AM

Hamsters cant get rabies, only dogs! LOL ;)

They CAN get rabies...it is just very unlikely they would, especially one that hasn't been living in the wild. Even if a hamster did have rabies-- it would probably die before spreading it on. I have yet to hear of animal that can't get rabies... :scratchchin:

#8 esther

esther

Baby Hamster

• 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:53 PM

They might have rabies if they are not bred in captivity. Rabies is spread by the bite so don't let it bite you. Even if your hamster is from a pet store you still have a slight chance he or she got bitten. :undecided:

#9 mamagirl

mamagirl

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:18 AM

I would say there is Zero chance that a hamster could spread rabies. Yes most mammals can catch rabies but rodents die very quickly from it so even if they caught it they would die before spreading it. Also they would only be able to catch it from a bite from a larger animal that can live with it (dogs etc) or an animal that is immune to it (bats). Usually a bite from one of these animals would be fatal alone even without rabies.

So i'd say the chance from contracting rabies even from a wild hamster (or rat , mouse etc) is zero.

#10 geminifive

geminifive

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:00 AM

thanks for your replies! my cousin also said that hamsters don't have rabies. I guess there's almost nothing to worry about. I still don't have symptoms of rabies on me.

#11 Cheeky

Cheeky

Action Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 06:23 AM

whar exactly are rabies? what do they do to you?

#12 geminifive

geminifive

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 10:58 AM

i just know that rabies is fatal if you don't get immediate medical treatment. I also know that you get chills, and fever.

#13 berrylux

berrylux

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 11:45 AM

Rabies are kind of like a disease that kills fast and affects your behavior sometimes

#14 geminifive

geminifive

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 11:57 AM

i also know that it really hurts when you get rabies. Have to get 5 or more shots on either your butt or your arm... it's so painful (when i saw my friend get injected, he cried a lot)

#15 tuffus

tuffus

Baby Hamster

• 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

thanks for your replies! my cousin also said that hamsters don't have rabies. I guess there's almost nothing to worry about. I still don't have symptoms of rabies on me.

Are you sure? my hamster bit me yesterday and i cant sleep thinking if i need to have a vaccine.. or noy if hamster have a rabies too..

I would say there is Zero chance that a hamster could spread rabies. Yes most mammals can catch rabies but rodents die very quickly from it so even if they caught it they would die before spreading it. Also they would only be able to catch it from a bite from a larger animal that can live with it (dogs etc) or an animal that is immune to it (bats). Usually a bite from one of these animals would be fatal alone even without rabies.

So i'd say the chance from contracting rabies even from a wild hamster (or rat , mouse etc) is zero.

Are you sure.. coz i cant stop thinking if hamster has a rabies.. coz yesterday my pet bit me..