Photo

Why do my hamsters keep dying?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 UBooboo

UBooboo

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 03:09 PM

I'm soooooooooooo sad right now. My 4th hamster, zaizai just died. I keep asking myself why it happened. Just last night I fed and took him out of the cage. And when I went back tonight for feeding, he was already lifeless. I held him for 3 hours until i'm sure he has left (his eyes couldn't stay shut anymore, no more muscle contractions). He was only a couple months old. This is the same with all my hamsters. Less than a year old and died. Why? i already make sure he is well fed with mix, vegetables, and treats. The bedding is the hypoallergenic type (the grey paper bedding) and frequent excercise with the ball. What did I do wrong? Am i such a bad mommy?

#2 cecilia

cecilia

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 03:43 PM

Hi there,

Me too, my hams always die early cos you know what, i bath him with soap, OMG. I make him a playroom with newspaper and taking it out often. But my new hammie is 9 months old now and im going to make him live as long as possible.

I guess all are the cause. We can only bath them with bathing sand and no water, as water removes his oil coat.

Hams cannot get in touch with newspapers as newspapers have a layer of black substance which is not good for hammy. As they scatch the papers with their arms and legs, those harmful substance got onto their hands.

Do you always take them out often? Did you wash your hands before holding them, i think this may be the cause.

Do you check whether the bottle is working...etc

Never put the cage under sunlight or near cooler.

Most importantly dont feed him the wrong food like chocolate, uncooked food...etc

Oh ya you mentioned about exercise with the ball, dont leave your ham too long in it, about half an hour is enough, as your ham may suffocate in there.

You are not a bad mummy, you just need to learn.

You can check it out here first as im still working on the new site for hammies.

Hope it helps.

Edited by cecilia, 14 November 2004 - 03:49 PM.

#3 UBooboo

UBooboo

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 04:37 PM

Thank you for your pointers. I will be sure to wash my hands when petting the next hamster (if i can ever face another one). To answer your other questions:

the vegetables and other food i feed him are fruits and vegetables, all are suitable for hamsters. and of course, no chocolate.

the ball excercise is only for 15 minutes tops... and he hasn't been in the ball lately.

Sigh........ zaizai's death is still a mystery.

#4 Emmie

Emmie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:10 PM

do u buy all your hamsters from the same pet shop? There could be a chance that your hamsters were somewhat related and all could have inheried some problems or were in-bred.
Did they all die in the same way?

#5 UBooboo

UBooboo

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 07:43 PM

they weren't really the same pet shop. They all died basically the same way. One day they'd be happy, and then the next day very lifeless, not moving at all.... and then slowly go..........

#6 squirtnwario

squirtnwario

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:34 PM

did you just get your hamster or have you had them fow awhile maybe your first hammie died of stress and got wet tail and the ilness passed down to all of your hammies

#7 Allergy

Allergy

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:42 PM

I just lost a hamster too. I believe as long as we give them the love and care that they deserver, they will return that love to us regardless of how short their lives are. What matters is not the length of their lives but how wonderful they were.

Do research to ensure that you are caring for them the best possible way. HH is one of the best ways.

allergy

#8 Emmie

Emmie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 10:58 PM

when you get your next hamster make sure you throughtly disfenct the cage otherwise the hidden bacterica could be around.......

#9 UBooboo

UBooboo

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 01:20 AM

sigh....... thanks guys. I feel much better now. To answer you questions, my 4 hamsters were from a time span of 4 years. I usually wait for months before getting another hamster. But i do clean the cage after each hammie leaves me. I've had Zaizai for a couple months now, about 6months. So it shouldn't be any residue disease passed on from the last one which died more than 1 year ago.

#10 Allergy

Allergy

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:53 AM

Bleach his items immediately.

1) Wash well with anti-bacterial dishwashing liquid.
2) Rinse well
3) Mix one part bleach to ten parts water (warm).
4) Leave it for at least 2 hours. I left mine over night.
5) Wash and rinse well.
6) Wash with anti-bacterial dishwashing liquid again.
7) Rinse well
8) Air Dry for at least two days.
- if the bleach is still pungent, repeat steps 5) to 8) again.

This is to ensure you are not passing on any infectious dieseases to your other pets.

allergy

#11 Viral

Viral

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:11 AM

Perhaps it could be the soap. Do you wash the cage and accessories with soap? If so don't. The most harmful things to a hamster are man made chemicals and materials.

#12 guy

guy

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:18 AM

Thank you for your pointers. I will be sure to wash my hands when petting the next hamster (if i can ever face another one). To answer your other questions:

the vegetables and other food i feed him are fruits and vegetables, all are suitable for hamsters. and of course, no chocolate.

the ball excercise is only for 15 minutes tops... and he hasn't been in the ball lately.

Hi,
Hamsters typically eat raw/dried nuts . Perhaps you gave it too much fresh fruits/vege.

Maybe you can tell us what did you feed zaizai?

#13 Haruka

Haruka

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:36 AM

Maybe it could be because of newspaper. It has toxics on the print. Maybe of the bedding? Maybe you don't clean their cages properly? Too much vegetables can be unhealthy. And you're not supposed to wash your hamsters... they have bath sand for that. Use google for more care info or just look on this site!

#14 cecilia

cecilia

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:48 AM

Yes hams can eat fruits and veg but should only feed a small piece of them once or twice a week and can be increased over weeks to everyday.

If ham having diarrhoea all feedings of these should stop.

They should feed only an amount they will eat if too much, they tend to store veg and fruits and it can become mouldy.

#15 UBooboo

UBooboo

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:17 PM

Zaizai's diet has always been a tiny piece of lettuce or fruit. He has never had a diarrhea problem with eating too much fruit. He had a very healthy appetite and ate everything i gave him, plus snacks that my family sneaks to him that i don't know about (sunflower seeds). I don't use newspaper, only Carefresh.

I will clean the cage as per your instructions. I am now so overprotective about Fattie, my white lab mice that I rescued from my school lab. She's actually quite a miracle, she's already over 3 years old! I guess I don't have good luck with hamsters only.