Adopt

by wiffy on October 17, 2008

List of Hamster Tails, by Date

hamstertails_small
Photography for the hamster butts in the Hamster Tails logo: HoppingHammy
Hamster Butts (L to R): Creampuff, Whipped Cream, Cookies ‘n Cream, Tator-Tot, Creme Brulee
Banner Design: wiffy

If you have an inspiring hamster adoption story to contribute, you can write in to hamstertails (at) hamsterhideout [dot] com, or you may either pm the HH writers, namely either dusty, HoppingHammy or wiffy at the forum.

Hamster Tails is a collection of happy hamster adoption stories that will tug at your heart strings. In this little section, you will read about the kind souls who saved hamsters from abandonment & abuse, wonderful folks who deliberately adopted sick or older hamsters to give the critters a second chance at happiness, hamsters who were rescued from the brink of death, and many other touching stories like these.

It is often tempting to take the “easy route” by going to a nearby pet store to acquire the youngest, cutest, and tiniest baby hamster, but did you know that there are many other abandoned hamsters that have been waiting to go to good homes too? Do you realize that the hamsters who aren’t adopted by a kind soul may end up living their whole lives at a shelter, dying there, or worse….being euthanized?

It doesn’t have to end on such a sad note. You, the human, can make a stand by adopting instead of buying. By adopting a hamster, you also lower the demand to buy them, which ultimately reduces the need for hamsters to be bred excessively (and very often, recklessly).

Best of all, the joy of adopting a hamster works both ways – not only is your hamster happy to find a good home, but the satisfaction you derived from adopting will be most gratifying.  To know that you possibly saved a hamster, who very well could have died if it weren’t for you, is a feeling that can’t be explained.

Trust us, once you start adopting hamsters, you will probably never want to buy another hamster again! It is almost addictive. ;)

We hope that everyone who reads these uplifting stories will be inspired to adopt a hamster, instead of buying one, the next time you walk in a pet store. Your little act of kindness will make such a huge difference in the life of a hamster!

Special thanks to HoppingHammy who took the awesome hamster butt photos of her hamsters for the Hamster Tails logo, as well as editing the write up :)

{ 7 trackbacks }

Hamster Tails #1: There is joy in adopting a two year old hamster | Hamster Hideout Blog
October 17, 2008 at 4:41 pm
Hamster Tails #2: Adopting a "biter", sickly hamster ... why not? | Hamster Hideout Blog
October 22, 2008 at 4:16 pm
Hamster Tails #3: No photo? No problem! | Hamster Hideout Blog
October 23, 2008 at 10:11 am
Hamster Tails #5: Neko, My Sunshine Hamster | Hamster Hideout Blog
December 9, 2008 at 4:29 pm
Hamster Tails #6: Whipped Cream | Hamster Hideout Blog
September 17, 2009 at 3:23 pm
Hamster Tails #7: Pompadour | Hamster Hideout Blog
October 7, 2009 at 11:17 pm
Hamster Tails #7: Johnny – The Incredible Story of a Hamster in the Bucket | Hamster Hideout Blog
January 22, 2010 at 3:12 pm

1 Mei January 10, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Something I have been posting on forums and the web

I have come to the sad realisation that ELven my adopted hamster is very old

I got him on the 14th of march 2007

Back then the SPCA said he was probably about a year old although at that time one of the staff and i thought maybe 6 mths was more like it

its been 22 wonderful months with that toilet brush and I feel very sad watching him age

mei

2 Joyce January 23, 2009 at 11:04 pm

where can i find more about hamster? :lol: :up:

3 mackezie March 19, 2009 at 8:12 am

:vangry: i clicked the link “adopt” but it didnt take me anywhere!!

4 bridget April 12, 2009 at 5:22 am

save the furballs! :up: :D

5 Dani April 19, 2009 at 4:52 am

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
i want a hamster sooooooooooooo bad but my parents won’t let me.

but i can have a fish:P
i :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: hamsters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 Cheryl April 23, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Firstly, i want a hamster but my parents would not let me to have a hamster. :(
But i pleaded and beg them .At last,they finally agreed. :D
I went to a pet shop and my mother said that we go for lunch then decide.
After lunch , i went back to the pet shop.I actually want roboski but the pet shop owner says that roboski are not perfectly match for children .
So,I brought back 2 hamsters , normal winter white and pearl winter white.:XO:

7 naomiedence April 30, 2009 at 9:01 am

:-) my baby..i mean my little cute syrian hamster…too hard to control…i dont know how stop him from eating the cloth that i cover him cage..i need to change it every week..i just want him to stay warm in the cage,thats why i cover the cage..and i have cat.name yen..my hams love to play with yen..but yen seems like scare with my hams..it kind of weird.but, i dont know how to help it..my hams is such naughty… :!:

8 lorraine mills May 2, 2009 at 6:13 am

please can you tell me were i can adopt a tame hamster please i hope you can help as i would love one as they are sooooooooooooooo cute x

9 NaomiRosie May 20, 2009 at 10:31 am

so im wanting to adopt. live in califorina
cant find anywhere that has hamster adoption. :cry:

anyone know a place.
[places ive been told from Forum, are bit aways]

10 Cheryl June 18, 2009 at 12:36 am

I cant tell you where you can adopt a hamster because i dont know where you live. :( but i can tell you about the tame ones. Before you got them, you try to touch them and see whether are they patient ( not nervous) sometimes you are lucky , u got a tamed one. :D

11 frances June 18, 2009 at 9:34 pm

i love hamsters

12 Becci July 10, 2009 at 4:08 am

This is a great post. Many people do not realize how abused hamsters–and other animals–are in typical pet stores. Yes, even big stores like Petco and Petland, etc!

Now I adopt ALL my hammies. A good place to find available ones is petfinder.com!

13 Becci July 10, 2009 at 4:10 am

Check out petfinder.com. It will tell you hammies in your area.

14 Mattie July 15, 2009 at 6:14 am

I loved these stories!!! :D Anyway, sadly, I couldn’t find any adoption centers near me, so I went to Petco. Now. This is the horrible scene I saw. Hamsters crammed inside tiny cages, At least ten in a glass fish tank, with ONE water bottle, and TWO food bowls in each cage. And they reaked. It was awful. We left at once, and went to a store called Critterland. I know it’s a pet store, but they only have four max hamsters at a time and they are all petted and human friendly. I waited a month for my hamster, and he is now a beautiful young adult boy. I love my hammy. :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: :XO: You get thew point. :-) Now, my poor friend got her hamster from Petco AFTER I got my hamster and my hamster is still as healthy and as playful as he was when I first got him. But her hamster just passed away today. (R.I.P. Coco) :evil: So there is proof. Be careful when you buy/adopt. Always find an employee/person who knows what they are talking about and not just SELLING the animal. You have heard my story, now everyone tell theirs. Hope everyone has a loving hammy, from good people, or now in the hands of good people.

15 Sofia August 11, 2009 at 7:45 pm

I just had two hamsters! 8O
and i just want another one! :o
hihi

16 Hammie_Luver August 22, 2009 at 9:53 am

I have 11 hammiezz :D

17 julia October 11, 2009 at 12:46 am

my hamster just died
:cry: :o

18 Cathrine November 11, 2009 at 5:26 am

Hi,I’m Cath,and I’m 12.I live in Serbia,and I have 15 hamsters.I just love them,beside my family,they are my life.I cannot live without them,and I can’t spend a day without their litlle,wet,rose nose.Sorry,If I can’t write right,that is becouse I’m only 12,and I’m from Cuprija,Serbia.So bye,I LOVE HAMSTERS!

19 Cath November 11, 2009 at 5:36 am

Hi,I had 30 hamsters,when i was 11,now I’m 12 years old.
I just want to say,that I come from Cuprija,Serbia,and I am addicted to them.Sorry,If I didn’t write something right,that is becouse I’m only 12,plus,I’m from Serbia.I want to say antoher thing,
EVERYONE OF YOU,WRITE ME IF YOU LOVE HAMSTERS JUST LIKE I DO!!!

20 Cath November 11, 2009 at 5:39 am

Ouh,and about your hamster,I’m sorry,really,becouse I know what’s like to lose that litlle one,I lost 3 hamsters,and I didn’t stop crying…But now,I’m fine,I try to not think about that,but it is VERY hard.But,now,even when I think abot them,I’m happy,becouse I know that they are in the better place! :)

21 Papa Roach November 11, 2009 at 5:52 am

Aloha!I’m 12 years old and I live in Serbia.I love hamsters,they are so cute,and I love their litlle,wet,rose nose :D :D :D !!!I cannot spend a day without them!My real name is Katarina,but it will be better if you call me Papa Roach,becouse I’m a big fan of that group! :idea: :halo: So,I have only 5 hamsters,but 2008,I had about 30! :roll: If someone of you are fans of Papa Roach,send me a letter to my home adress:,,Resavska 6,35230 Ćuprija,,
Sorry,If I write something wrong,tell me if I did, :wink: that’s becouse Ićm 12,and Ić from Serbia,BYE :?:

22 willow November 21, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Hello, my name’s willow. I am going to ask my mum to adopt a hamster. Since I don’t have a dad anymore, my mum is my only hope.

23 willow November 21, 2009 at 5:12 pm

That’s alot for hammies. :-)

24 Ellen January 14, 2010 at 5:15 am

i miss my hammy. i never would’ve thought that loving her would lead her to death. After a while, i got to know her, and she is the cutest little hamster ever, but she was a little violent. She’s dead now, and i miss her cute little self everyday. This website is cute x3 and it helped me understand my hammy.

25 GarE January 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Hello!

I was googling my webcomic’s name (Hamster Tails) when I came across your blog. I thought I was the only Hamster Tails out there, but apparently I’m not!

I like your blog. I’ve been doing my strip for about a year or so. Its name is inspired by a hamster named George that I had when I was around 10 or so. He was a great pet and very cute and fuzzy.

Anyhow, from a fellow Hamster Tailer, I thought I’d say hello! :-) Keep up the good work!

Gary

26 Kelsey March 29, 2010 at 12:14 am

I got my hamster Charlie when he was 2 and when i bought him he was a tiny little thing. He won’t stop fidgeting!! Me and my BFF have him at her house just now. He won’t stop moving!!

27 rebeccabampton April 14, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I WANT TO HAVE ANOTHER HAMSTER BUT MY MUM WILL NOT LET ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28 molly May 12, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Anyone know where I can find a Pearl Winter White hamster in california? Ide love to know :D

29 hamsties rock June 8, 2010 at 6:53 am

oh yeah hamsters rock

30 jiselle July 6, 2010 at 4:48 pm

im mad because my best friend just got a hamster and cage is cool but mine is plane !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

31 jiselle July 6, 2010 at 4:56 pm

any ways my hamsters name is hamie and is plane white with red eyes but i love her and is really frisky ;) im not playing illllllllllllllooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeee HAMIE

32 jiselle July 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm

any ways my hamsters name is hamie and is plane white with red eyes but i love her and is really frisky ;) im not playing I LOVE MY HAMIE :p

33 jiselle July 6, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAMIE

34 crazy for ham hams August 5, 2010 at 3:12 am

i love hamsters if you want guinea pig games go to wiki answers type in guinea pig games if you want to learn more i made the game (respond to me) if you want games for any fuzzy critters. you can play maze frenzy with any hamster or guinea pigs. (other animals to).

35 crazy for ham hams August 5, 2010 at 3:23 am

bibbles woo hoo crazy for hu hams.

36 crazy for hu hams August 6, 2010 at 10:43 pm

i am still crazy for ham hams but i changed up my name

37 crazy for hu hams August 6, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Did you know there is a hamster durby. I won my hu ham won! My hamster won in every race. Sorry that I am braging my hu ham is my baby to me.<a href=

38 crazy for hu hams August 6, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Did you know there is a hamster durby. I won my hu ham won! My hamster won in every race. Sorry that I am braging my hu ham is my baby to me. Sorry I mess up on what i was sayin pressed random keys on last message. Sorry

39 crazy for hu hams August 6, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmsssssssssssssssssstttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssssssssss aaaannnnnnddddddd tttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeee aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwssssssssssssooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee #111111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#1!

40 HamsterWanter August 11, 2010 at 10:27 pm

hia, i reeeeallly want a hamster, but my mum has asthma i know short haired hamsters are less bad for people with allergies..is there anything else i can say to convince her?

41 crazy for hu hams August 12, 2010 at 11:25 pm

I know I can help you with getting a hamster, (hamster wanter). Reply back I will try to write back to you as soon as possible to convinvce your mom. I am crazed about hamsters and know a lot about them. My hamster is good when I want to train her. I know almost or a lot about them. If you want to to see if I know a lot about hamsters. I may not be able to tell you your question wright away I am not on here 24 7 (all day and all night) this is obvious: I am just notifying you. Ok I think you get the point. Crazy for hu hams I am saying peace and good bye to end this conversation.

42 crazy for hu hams August 16, 2010 at 9:40 pm

hey hamster wanter I have been working on ideas to help you.

43 crazy for hu hams August 19, 2010 at 5:31 am

I know I said I have ideas but now I forgot them. It has been a week of getting school supplies together just about a week. I am starting school tomorrow anyways. Sorry Hamster Wanter I have some ideas but I have lost the better ones. :( (what ever be happy) :). Anyways bye

44 crazy for hu hams August 19, 2010 at 5:32 am

oh well just try hard sorry. :(

45 crazy for hu hams August 19, 2010 at 5:33 am

Ok I love hu hams.:P

46 crazy for hu hams August 19, 2010 at 5:54 am

bibbles hamys #1st place. o~~o Bunnys rock too.
(o + o) ( )~( )
(0 0) ( o + o)
(o —- o)o (0 0)
(o—–o)o
Ps: Do you like my bunny and hammy.
——- ——-

47 crazy for hu hams August 19, 2010 at 5:55 am

they mess up.
:( sorry my picture messup.

48 crazy for hu hams August 19, 2010 at 5:58 am

( )~( )
( o + o)
(0 0)
(o —– o)o

49 crazy for hu hams August 19, 2010 at 5:59 am

sorry it still messup hope you can read it. Well I hope you can see the picture.

50 crazy for hu hams August 20, 2010 at 7:18 am