HuHam Bond #3: Do hamsters take after their owners?

by wiffy on May 5, 2010

Author::
huham-bond-3-do-hamsters-take-after-their-owners

HuHam Bond
Note by editor: This article is written for HuHam Bond, a series of short stories celebrating the close human-hamster bond and friendship. Check out how you can submit your story here.  It is a very interesting, light-hearted and insightful article written by HH writer, ViggySidney.

Viggy Sidney

Is it true that pets take after their owners, after spending a lot of time with them? The answer is, yes; at least, in my case.

I have seen it everywhere. Owners talking about how much their pets are like them. Some even say their pets begin to look like them. I believe it, and I believe in the chemistry each one of us has with our pets.

Viggy wasn’t an exception. As soon as I saw him lurking (for the lack of will to say, he was just being lazy in the tank), at the store. I knew he was the one for me and I felt he was like me. Yes, I admit I can be a bit lazy and hide in a dark tree lodge, like any other hamster – just kidding.

After a few days, the truth emerged. Viggy not only adapted to the environment, but also picked up my personality. Oh, that copycat rat!  Ha-ha.

• He slept on his back. I tend to sleep on my back.
  • He snored. I …well…snore…rarely…but not loud.
  • He was hyperactive. I’m very hyperactive to the ultimate power.
  • He didn’t like vegetables. I don’t really like vegetables (except for a few).
  • He loved nuts. I love nuts, but Viggy and I were never coconuts.
  • Strawberry yogurt drops were his favourite snack. I love strawberry yogurt.

The list goes on and on…

He had favourite corners in his home. In addition, he was very organized, fancy and clean. Perhaps, it was because I encouraged those things to him with my expensive hamster products purchases.

Pets are our friends and become part of all of us. It’s the love you pass onto them, that opens their hearts and minds to absorb our traits and imitate us. They look up to us, in their own little way, because they feel we’re right for them. Which is why, no matter how much time they would spend with other family members or friends, they know at the end, to whom they belong in heart, mind and soul.

It’s easy to mimic an action, a trait, a feeling, but for these little creatures, it’s not just that. For them, their enrichment of love comes out naturally. It’s how they communicate in a way we could understand. A single squeak can mean a lot, if you look into their bright eyes and feel that connection.

The best way I can think of to share a real connection is by re-telling Viggy’s loyalty to me on his final days. I felt reluctant to tell him that I was ready to let him go. Seeing him suffering for days was not what I wanted for him, but I also didn’t want to be dishonest to him and tell him I was ready for him to move on, when I wasn’t. He knew this so deeply, that right after I truly said to him that I was going to be okay, he crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Not to mention, he sent me a rainbow as soon as my family and I buried him.

Whether you own a hamster, a rat, a dog, a cat, a fish or other pets, take a good look at them and try to find yourself in them. You will be amazed at all the new things you might discover.

If you love this article, you have to check out Viggy’s other article – Movies to Watch with your Hamster :)

1 Viggy Sidney May 6, 2010 at 12:42 am

In honor of Viggy’s 1 year anniversary since his passing <3.

2 dusty May 6, 2010 at 9:17 am

I do think that hamsters and other animals take after their owners after spending enough time with them. Sometimes, it works the other way around too (some owners seem to take after their pets!) It’s part of the bonding process I guess. Really nice article, and it shows just how much feelings these remarkable furries are capable of showing.

Viggy, you are being missed!

3 Jazmyn May 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm

This is so true! My boyfriend’s dog is so much like him its scary lol.
My dog (that currently lives with my dad) was always like me…pretty much exactly like me actually!

I haven’t really noticed any of my hams that are like me though, although I’m starting to see some similarities in Luna and I! xD

4 Paige May 11, 2010 at 5:33 am

That was so touching u could become a writer one day such great bond u must have had with him
R.I.P viggy

5 Hamster Fan July 20, 2010 at 6:22 am

Excellent site and what a great article

6 Lolypop50001 August 16, 2010 at 5:48 am

Do animals take after humans? OR do humans take after animals? animals are smart, but not that smart. Sure cats, dogs, and rodents Might act like their owners but is it all just an illusion? A coincidence? Both? Think about it then get to me, Thank you

7 Franek August 31, 2010 at 12:50 am

I have a question how would you know that your hamster wants to play with you ?

8 Franzeek August 31, 2010 at 12:54 am

I have an another question can you take your hamsters out side to a park or something like that because my friends do it and i don’t know if i can do it as well.

9 Brian October 23, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Maybe its you who is starting to mimic the hammy :D

10 dwarf hamster November 9, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I think the owner of the pet just like to see their pet’s behavior and just describes it on their own words when chatting with other people about their pets. It is like my dwarf hamsters each of them have their own personal behavior.

11 Hamster For a Pet August 23, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I think either we choose hamsters based on our personalities to begin with. I know that I look for a spunky, curious hamster when I’ve picked them out. But maybe they do become more and more like us as we interact with them. They say dog owners sometimes look like their dogs. lol

12 Dwarf hamster November 23, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I am in the same line as previous commentor :)
In my opinnion dwarf hamster can look like owner :)

13 Body Massage December 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I’d like to have buttsex with that nigger hamster. Then tit fuck it’s owner’s ass.

14 Lucy March 6, 2013 at 5:24 am

Yes! Coco stays up with me then lets me go asleep and then get up while im asleep :D

15 Waverly Wobschall March 16, 2014 at 6:38 am

You are such a great typer,and sorry about your loss R.I.P. I do agree my hamster panda she sleep walks and i do to and she is jumpy. Do you now what cuased viggys passing or did she die of old age?.

Somewhere over the rainbow he is looking down on us. :(

16 waverlywobschall March 16, 2014 at 9:46 pm

The reason why I ask this is because many hamsters have been passed on because of tumors. I am worried that this type of tumor is contagious.I m wondering do u have any other hamsters and if you do and piggy did not die of old age then though out any wooden idioms or chews and sanitize any plastic or smooth surface idioms.

17 waverlywobschall March 16, 2014 at 9:48 pm

In the pix is his ear ok?

18 Theresa April 1, 2014 at 10:12 pm

It’s also the same in my cast, my two dwarf hamsters sleep the same time I do which is a bit surprising!

19 Mirithehamster1 April 12, 2014 at 5:17 am

Wifey my late hamster ginger did the same things like your hamster but the thing that did differ, Ginger my late hamster loved tummy rubs and Ribena

20 Mirithehamster1 April 12, 2014 at 5:20 am

folks did your hamster like climbing the stairs at night after escaping from his or hers cage and come into your bed room in the night while you where asleep and in the morning you found him or her walking around your bed room, I did with Ginger

21 Mirithehamster1 April 12, 2014 at 5:25 am

wiffy, I do not really tell anybody this, but I think I will tell you, I was in my local supermarket one day and thinking is there an afterlife for anmials including hamsters and I heard a noise like eak which only ginger did, I am sure it was ginger saying not to worry he would be waiting for me, so now I know there is an afterlife for all , no doubt Viggy will be playing hamster games with The Hmasters Ginger, Fluff, Houdini, Harry, Miri, spock, Boris and Ivan in heaven