Hamster Tails #6: Whipped Cream

by wiffy on September 17, 2009

Author::
hamster-tails-6-whipped-cream

This article is written for Hamster Tails, a special series on real-life hamster adoptions that will tug at your heartstrings.

Whipped Cream

“He may be missing an ear, but this guy has the most wonderful personality and has much more to offer than just his looks.”

You’re adopting another hamster?”…

…were my parents’ reactions when I showed them the photo of an 8-week old Russian Campbell hamster that was for adoption. He had been online for a couple of weeks already, since adopting my previous dwarf. He was white with ruby eyes and a missing ear, but just the cutest little guy ever. Figuring no one else would want him, due to his imperfections, (not many people like red-eyed hamsters with missing ears) I knew what I had to do.

Whipped Cream

I emailed his foster parent to inquire and, indeed, no one else showed any interest in him. I told her I’d think about it a couple of days and get back to her. After making up my mind to adopt, I sent an email back asking about filling out the application and picking him up. I waited, and waited, and waited…..only to come home to an empty email inbox every night. I sent various emails and also called someone else (who was of no help) to show my interest in him. Still no reply. What was going on?

“It was a joyous day, and though he was quite shy and hid a lot at first, he has blossomed into one of the sweetest, most beautiful hamsters.”

Whipped Cream

In the meantime, 2 other dwarfs’ ads popped up and I inquired about them, but due to various reasons, neither of them worked out and I had given up hope of adopting any hamster. Over a month had passed and one day, out of the clear blue, an email showed up from the foster parent of the albino dwarf! What a shock! Apparently she was on vacation and took a break from emails, so was trying to catch up and asked if I was still interested in him. Of course I was jumping for joy and arranged to get him a.s.a.p.

Whipped Cream

After over a month of waiting, with his housing all setup and ready to go, “Whipped Cream” (named for his white coloring and ruby eyes that reminded me of cherries on whipped cream) finally came home with me! It was a joyous day, and though he was quite shy and hid a lot at first, he has blossomed into one of the sweetest, most beautiful hamsters. He may be missing an ear, but this guy has the most wonderful personality and has much more to offer than just his looks.

I feel like the luckiest person in the world to have finally adopted Whipped Cream, as my own, and he is here to stay.

hamstertails_small
Read all the issues here.

1 Golden-Inkweaver September 17, 2009 at 6:00 pm

that is so sweet! :XO: and the hammy is so cuute! i can barely believe no one wanted him except one! 8O ( you) congrats on your beautiful baby! :up:

2 DolphinDreamer September 17, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Awww, Whipped Cream is such a cutie. I love his pictures too. I know Whipped Cream has really been enjoying his life with you now and is still enjoying it. :) :D

3 missPixy September 18, 2009 at 2:43 am

the sweet, content look of bliss on his face as he munches in that middle photo with the blue background says it all.

4 wiffy September 18, 2009 at 11:37 am

It warms my heart to read stories of hamsters who gets a second chance in life, especially when they go to good homes like yours where they are spoiled rotten :) WC may be missing an ear, but I think he looks extra special cute and lovable. Kisses to WC!

5 dusty September 22, 2009 at 10:47 am

Whipped Cream is adorable! This is a very encouraging story, hope more people will catch the adoption bug. :)

6 Faithy xx February 28, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Just beautiful !!!! He is sooooo sweet i see why you called him Whipped Cream !! <3

7 Hannah June 29, 2010 at 12:00 am

This is so cute! Aww he’s adorable(:. Is he still alive?:D

8 Lily December 29, 2010 at 10:02 am

Unreal! I had just adopted a robo hamster @ Petco because the previous owner brought it back after (improper care/cage) a fight broke out between that robo hamster with another robo hamster. It had his ears bitten off, they had to place in under vet care for about two weeks but he survived. Anyways, I went to Petco to get some ghost shrimps for my Betta and found this guy in the adoption display. I whined and cried in the store until my mom gave in and got him for me. He’s about 4 months old and the Petco clerk said he probably will never get use to human hands. Lie! Whenever I’m around his cage he comes sniffing and climbing on me. He loves to explore and run around in my hands.

I had him for almost a week now but I can’t think of a name for him :\ I’m thinking of…Avery :) It sounds cute.

9 Lisa May 31, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Do you think petco treats hamsters really really really badly?

10 coco January 22, 2012 at 9:47 pm

to: lisa and the aouthor…………………………………………………

yes, yes i do think petco treats some hamsters badly. some petco stores do….

11 PluckyPeanut June 29, 2013 at 12:32 pm

He is so cute! I can’t believe no one took him. :) He’s probably very happy in his furrever home.

12 brookie82928 June 22, 2014 at 9:48 pm

aww how cute!!!!

13 Tina July 27, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Whipped Cream looks absolutely adorable, i see no imperfection in this little white furball! What a heart-touching story, i hope that you both are doing well!

14 Hamster Elle October 9, 2015 at 4:24 am

I loved your story! I am fostering a cambells winter white hybrid, Banjo, who has 3 legs and red eyes. I felt the same way that he wouldn’t get adopted because of his leg and read eyes!