Hamster Tails #5: Neko, My Sunshine Hamster

by wiffy on December 9, 2008

Author::
hamster-tails-5-neko-my-sunshine-hamster

hamstertails_small

This article is written for Hamster Tails, a special series on real-life hamster adoptions that will tug at your heartstrings.

“I shudder at the thought of how different my life would be if I hadn’t adopted Neko … I would have definitely missed out on many happy moments.”

Neko came to me on 5 May 07. When he arrived, he weighed a measly 30grams and he was all bashed up (his right eye was injured and one of his paws was bleeding). My first reaction when I saw him was shock at his scrawny, emaciated frame and I wondered if he will survive.

The Neko File
Neko’s Adoption Certificate

Neko has a very sad and traumatic childhood. He was rescued from a backyard of a scheming pet shop whereby a kind soul witnessed a first batch of unsold hamsters being ‘discarded’ by the pet store owners by gasp, pouring boiling water over them when they were still alive.  The kind soul subsequently grabbed the second batch of 11 hamsters which were all being crammed in a small cage and saved them from the fate of being boiled alive. The hamsters were subsequently rehomed and I took Neko.

Neko, my dear ham
Neko – a handsome dude

“Every hamster has the propensity to be happy, and it’s indeed sad if they do not have the chance to live their lives to the fullest.”

Neko recovered more than 200% though. We washed his eyes daily and I was ecstatic when his eye healed completely one day (which I didn’t expect at all). His paw healed too without any scarring. He looks so handsome now, I’m so proud of my boy, hehe. He is the ultimate food connoisseur (read: he is greedy) and quickly grew from 30g to a whopping 80g, which is really chubby for a dwarf hamster. He eats a lot, wheels a lot, his eyes are bright, his ears are perky … in short, I have never seen  a happier hamster. This just shows that every hamster has the propensity to be happy, and it’s indeed sad if they do not have the chance to live their lives to the fullest.

Neko, my dear ham
Shifty looking Neko – What are you up to my boy?

Despite his sad past, Neko has the sweetest disposition. He seems not at all bitter about his bad childhood, for he is affectionate and easy going. He is the most good-natured boy in the world. He never bites, he allows himself to be picked up at any spot in the cage without resistance and he enjoys a good massage now and then.  I can also tell that Neko is a very contented boy who seems to appreciate every little toy and treats that was given to him. He explores every nook and cranny of his cage, and he seems to like every part of his home.

neko_cage_071108
Neko’s Home – A cage within a bin concept, which he really loves

Neko is an obliging hamster.  He lets me “bully” him by posing in all kinds of photoshoots, which were subsequently published as a series of online comics titled “The Misadventures of Neko Chan”.

Neko, my dear ham
An obliging Neko (Oct 08). Neko perfects the pissed, dot dot dot look.

“Neko is the apple of my eye and he brought me so much joy on a daily basis. I feel so thankful everyday that I have Neko by my side.”

Neko means ‘cat’ (ねこ) in Japanese and I named him so because I think he must have 9 lives like a cat to be able to survive his earlier ordeal, and it is my wish that from there on he will live a long and blissful life, to be able to escape if he faces any danger – just like a cat :)

Neko, my dear ham
Neko’s Tail

Neko is the apple of my eye and he brought me so much joy on a daily basis. I feel so thankful everyday that I have Neko by my side. I shudder at the thought of how different my life would be if I hadn’t adopted Neko … I would have definitely missed out on many happy moments.

Read all the issues here.

1 dusty December 9, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Neko is such an adorable boy and so well-behaved! Love Neko! :D

2 HoppingHammy December 9, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Aww what a lovely story. I loved reading what the name “Neko” meant, and it fits him perfectly. He sounds so cared for and it was kind to rescue him from the fate of boiling water. *shudders*

I laughed at your test photos of Neko with spinach on his head. The final shot is PRICELESS!!

I wish you many more months of happy living, Neko! :) :)

3 Supermunchie December 10, 2008 at 2:13 am

Aww, sweet Neko! I love his cage within the bin, so stylish!

I also love the cute photos with the spinach on his head, so funny! ^^
Neko is such a lucky little boy :)

4 starismyhamster December 10, 2008 at 3:57 am

Neko is so cute! I got two new robos today :)

5 starismyhamster December 10, 2008 at 3:58 am

Neko is just so cute! I got two new robos today :)

6 PoptartShop December 10, 2008 at 5:28 am

That is too cute! :D Neko is so adorable. hehe, I love the pics!

7 missPixy December 10, 2008 at 8:17 am

i have such a major crush on neko! those photos of him are so gorgeous. he is quite handsome, and i love his expressive face. it’s no surprise to me that he’s recovered so completely from all his injuries and health problems~~ how could such damage prevail in the environment of love and care you give him?

8 mikachewie December 10, 2008 at 9:09 am

Zomg. The boiling water made me cry. ;__;
I’m so glad someone saved them and Neko.

Neko is absolutely adorable! His story is amazing and inspiration and you are an amazing owner Wiffy. Just look how happy he is and to oblige you so! Hehe. How absolutely adorable.

He’s a stunning little guy <3! Love the spinach shot and the face in toilet paper shot.
Thank you so much for being such an amazing person!

9 kisetsu December 10, 2008 at 12:14 pm

I just knew that petshops in SIN had a way of disposing unsold ham, but that extent was terrible. How wonderful Neko is being rescued. He is such a smart ham, love him to bits. :)

10 wiffy December 10, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Hi everyone, I’m so touched by your kind words. Thank you so much. They mean a lot to me. Neko is very touched as well and would like to thank all of you =)

11 fufiche December 10, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Neko is such a beautiful boy!

The “boiling water” story is so sad and unbelievable! How can some people be so cruel? :(

It’s not at all amazing he got all better. He got the love and care he needed and deserved.

Congrats on rescuing a beautiful soul!

12 wiffy December 11, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Thanks fufiche =)

13 annajo December 24, 2008 at 3:57 am

What a beautiful story! Take care, Neko!

14 Nicky_Benji66 January 27, 2009 at 7:10 am

This is so cute!:XO: how do you get Neko to stay still?!?:lol: i try to get pictures of my hammie Nicky and its very hard becuase she keeps on moving :?:

15 hamsterluver224 July 2, 2009 at 9:34 am

Neko’s a neat hamster. I also read about Neko’s passing. It was so sad.:( Read my one about Misty my hamster. I wrote a story about her passing too, plz read it. :-)

16 abby July 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm

that is such a sweet story. neko looks like my hamster, snowball! :D :-) :( :o 8O :? 8) :lol: :x :P :cry: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :up: :down: :oops: :halo: :idea: :| ::-*: :!: :?: :$: :vangry: :XO: :mrgreen:

17 Lilib101 July 28, 2009 at 9:24 am

P.I.P Neko (Play In Peace) :-)

18 sandra October 2, 2009 at 1:39 am

so sorry to hear about Neko, but I have a female who NEVER bites, Munchkin. she is SO CUTE, turned up nose and THANKS TO YOU, I’m going to use a cage within a bin. WHAT A GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU
I know they don’t live that long, so I will enjoy EVERY day with her

19 capalldripsey November 15, 2009 at 1:04 am

Neko is sooo cute. He looks like my hammy Rocky :evil: That boiling water thing sounds so cruel :vangry: I can’t believe anyone would do that : :|

20 Lena January 16, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Neko is so precious – I have a really soft spot for chubby dwarfs in particular :) It’s wonderful that there are people who care enough about these delightful creatures to rescue them and give them a second chance at having a healthly and happy life.
Beautiful story :)

21 SukiHyah5 November 25, 2010 at 2:15 am

Those jerks trying to boil hamsters! Something not reccomended by ASPCA. Neko is too cute!

Fight animal cruelty! I love it when people support ASPCA!

22 Lisa May 31, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I cannot belive this!!!Did the first batch of hamsters get boiled to death.That is so cruel!I hope they would end up in Rainbow Bridge!The guy who boiled the hams must really be dumb.If they did not want the hamsters,he could give it to ASPCA.If he really did not want to do that,at least leave the box of hamhams alone!

23 coco January 22, 2012 at 9:21 pm

aww…….boiling water. Some people are sooooo cruel. my name really isin”t coco. coco is my hamster…oooooo he went in my shirt. oh…wait he is coming out LOL. P.I.P all hammys! (play in peace.)

24 brittenty February 7, 2014 at 9:34 am

I love neko’s skin color ( my favoritite dwarf hamster color ) I wish neko a wonderful life and to cerintaly live 9 lives :)

25 Hammielover1168 September 13, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Awwww! I love seeing your hamster coming out of the tube!!! I have no hamsters and im looking forward to getting a Roborovski for my birthday!!!!!!! Neko is so adorable!! Have a happy life with lots of treats and sunflower seeds!!!

26 Hamster Elle October 9, 2015 at 4:34 am

His story is sooooo sad! I can’t believe someone would ever do that to a hamster, or any animal! I’m so happy he had such a good life