Hamster Tails #2: Adopting a “special needs” hamster … why not?

by wiffy on October 21, 2008

hamstertails_small

We often look for the “perfect” hamster when we are buying/adopting.

“Is it tame?” (so that I won’t be bitten)
“Do you have a photo” (so that I can see if it’s cute enough)
“How old is it?” (coz I only want cute little bbs)
“is it healthy” (I want healthy hams, please)
“Is it toilet trained?” (so that I can spent minimal time cleaning the cage)

These are some of the most common questions that one often get asked from potential adoptees.

It is hence enlightening to read of how one hamster lover, HoppingHammy (HH writer and forum member) adopted a presumably “biter” hamster who was also not in the best of health when she was being put up for adoption.

Read the full inspiring story, written by HoppingHamster herself.

====

“The lady from the rescue immediately said, “Oh you don’t want her, she will bite you and is a devil.” … which only made me want her even more.”

cookiesncream_hamtails2“Mom, I’ve decided to get another hamster, but this time I want to adopt one.”

That was what I said around April, when a little dwarf hamster’s ad popped up online at Petfinder. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. She was absolutely beautiful, and had colors and markings that were rarer then most dwarfs. I had debated for such a long time on whether or not to get another hamster, but was enjoying my Syrian so much, it only seemed right to bring another furry into my life. I had heard, in the past, about hamsters being dumped at rescues or shelters, and always wanted to adopt, but never found any listings. This time, however, was different, and I couldn’t pass this little one by. For some unknown reason, she tugged at my heartstrings and wouldn’t leave my mind.

cookiesncream_hamtails3 I took the step to call about her, as there wasn’t a lot of information online. The lady from the rescue immediately said, “Oh you don’t want her, she will bite you and is a devil.” … which only made me want her even more. I arranged to pick up the dwarf the next day, but had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Mom and I arrived at the rescue, and much to my surprise, the hamster was being kept outside in the hot/humid weather. Even more shocking was how wobbly and how unhealthy she looked, in comparison to the photo that was online. To put it plainly, she looked on the verge of death. I immediately filled out the paperwork to adopt.

Cookie’s past life was a sad story. I came to find out that she was abandoned in a box (for who knows how long!?) in an aisle of a local pet store. A couple purchased her “out of pity” and brought her home. According to them, she used to be very sweet and let everyone handle her, but suddenly turned “mean” and became a biter. They say she was jealous of their new guinea pig……yeah right! Worst of all, it seems she was abused by them and/or dropped without receiving treatment for her injuries.

cookiesncream_hamtails

The first couple of weeks Rosy (renamed “Cookies ‘n Cream”) needed round-the-clock care and nursing. She was in horrible shape and couldn’t walk properly, had red, irritated, oozing eyes, squeaked at almost every movement, and appeared blind, deaf, and had diabetes. I became attached to her the minute she came home and never left her side.

I’m proud to say this little dwarf, who seems to be strong-willed to survive everything she went through, is now in much better health (though not fully healed) and even lets me pick her up and stroke her gently….certainly not the “meanie” she was un-fairly made out to be.

Cookies ‘n Cream has been in my care for five months now and is so special. She certainly has been through a lot and would have passed away without someone to adopt her. She officially got me “hooked” on adopting, and I will never again buy from a store.

Read all the issues here.

{ 1 trackback }

Hamster Tails #4: The Adoption Bug | Hamster Hideout Blog
November 12, 2008 at 8:52 pm

1 hammie_ham October 21, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Wow this is inspiring! :)
I also have a biter, but she wasn’t adopted. I’m so happy that she is doing better and has a new loving home.

2 dusty October 21, 2008 at 2:43 pm

Great and moving story! :) All the best for Cookies ‘n Cream!

3 rhapsody October 21, 2008 at 4:38 pm

HoppingHammy and her C ‘n C inspired me to try adopting hamsters … and now I have 5 adoptess!

Keep on spreading the “Rescue Virus” you two!

PS – just love the pic of C ‘n C’s little tushie ^_^

4 Hamstergirl98 October 21, 2008 at 8:17 pm

What a great article! :) *2 thumbs up!*
Little Cookies is so lucky to get such an amazing Mommy!
And, hehe, you used the photo of her butt and paws sticking out from he food bowl :)

And yes, like rhapsody said, keep spreading the ‘Rescue Virus’!

5 Ippo456 October 22, 2008 at 7:33 am

Aaww. One of my dwarfs is also a biter. The storekeeper also said the same thing, that I shouldn’t get her. But, I think if I didn’t get her, no one else would want her.

6 DolphinDreamer October 22, 2008 at 8:50 am

Wow, I am sure Cookies loves you and she is so lucky to have you! :)

7 fufiche October 22, 2008 at 3:40 pm

What an inspiring story! I’m so glad you found and rescued Cookies ‘n Cream. She has been trough so much! Poor sweet, beautiful hamham.

8 Sarah (peanut123) October 23, 2008 at 10:01 am

WOW this is so amazing.
It moved me Peanut wants to give C&C a big hug from both of us.
GOOD LUCK

9 mikachewie October 23, 2008 at 10:59 am

Awr! I love this story. CnC is so, so lucky and I’m so glad you found her and dedicated yourself to taking care of her. She seems like such a darling! I can’t even really express how awesome it is what you did, so I’m not even going to try because it would be fruitless.

10 hervay October 27, 2008 at 6:08 am

wo i didnt even know that u could adopt a hampster

11 Dreamer7787 October 27, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Adopting a special needs hammy was the best thing I’ve ever done! While Ginger wasn’t in as bad of shape as CnC (thank goodness!) she definitely need some extra TLC. :)

12 supercoco October 29, 2008 at 12:35 am

im back….wow im going through alot of stuff now and am on the verge of a nervous breakdown and thiss is just so relaxing and…well aww-inspiring hoppinghammy you are no doubt one of the the most un-selfish person i know.

13 mousyblack December 2, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Wow… nice!

14 crazy for hu hams August 19, 2010 at 6:02 am

woohoo cute hammy yeah. I love it so much.

15 Santiago January 5, 2012 at 8:12 am

thats amazing! you are hero for hamsters!

16 coco January 22, 2012 at 10:25 pm

sad…………… i hope she lives a happy happy life. i am glad you adopted her.

17 buttaflybabi October 20, 2012 at 7:51 am

AWWWWW HOW SWEET OF YOU TO SAVE THE POOR HAMSTER SO MANY ANIMALS ARE JUST LEFT BEHIND AND ABUSED ITS NOT FAIR TO THE ANIMALS AND IF SOMEONE BUYS ONE OR ADOPTS ONE THEY SHOULD TRY TO GIVE THE ANIMALS WHAT IT DESERVES LOVE FOOD ATTENITON WATER AND A CLEAN HOME ITS CALLED A GOOD HOME IVE GOT 2 SYRIANS A GIRL NAMED MIMI AND A BOY NAMED ZOEY THAT I LOVE VERY MUCH! THANKGOD YOU ADOPTED THE HAMSTER WHEN YOU DID IT MAY HAVE JUST SUFFERED MORE I ENJOYED YOUR STORY VERY MUCH!

18 Kat December 4, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I got a hamster that. It the workers a lot but the first time I held her she almost fell asleep that is to say that proper handling is MANDITORY !

19 brookie82928 June 22, 2014 at 9:59 am

OMG!!!! how sad and now im thinking about adopting and changing my hamsters name because her name is Cookie and her full name is Cookies n cream!!!!

20 hamsterfanTLH September 7, 2014 at 6:43 am

Wow, this was so sad and sweet at the same time… It almost made me cry! T-T I also never want to get a hamster from a petstore again, but every pet needs a home. I wish we could save them all and stop cruelty!!! I recently adopted Annie from a local shelter. She’s been there for over a year, seen all of her litter mates get adopted, and become blind in one eye. I believe that she, just as much as any other hamster, deserves a good home! The same goes for Cookies n’ Cream! :3 I’m glad you were there to give her a better life \^o^/

21 bmtobin8 November 16, 2014 at 10:55 pm

This story is so sad, but im happy that shes getting better and is in a good home. What a cute name i would have never thought of it!

22 MicroQ April 15, 2015 at 2:20 am

Inspiring… And you’re a great writer too!