Rotastak + Bin Mania

by wiffy on April 23, 2008

Author::
rotastak-bin-mania

In our third issue of Featured Hamster Home, we present Hamster Hideout member Nicky85471’s amazing set up for her lucky hamster, Crush.

Nicky's hamtastic set up

The hamsters at Hamster Hideout sniffed out this amazing set up with their ultra sonic whiskers and are quick on their little feet to secure an exclusive interview with Nicky85471. Thank you Nicky!

Hamster Hideout (HH): What are the parts that make up Crushes’ set up, & the estimated costs?

Nicky85471 (Nicky):

Rotastak Creepy Castle – £30
Rotastak Pod – £20 (i got it off a friend for £10 though)
Bin : 64 litre box, measuring 28 x 17.3 x 12.2 inches (L x W x D) – £10
Rotastak Spaghetti Junction – £15
Toys and Accessories – £15
Total Cost – £90

HH: What is your rationale for building something like this?

Nicky: When I first got him he was just in the Rotastak Creepy Castle, after which I bought the Rotastak Pod (triangular unit) off my friend for £10 because I felt that the castle was too small. I attached a bin because the Rotastak wheels were too small and a bigger wheel wouldn’t have fitted inside any of the units, and also to give him more room to run around.

HH: Is your hamster able to climb the long winding tubes with ease?

crush_cutecutecute
Nicky: Crush has no problem climbing the spaghetti junction … he runs through them.

HH: How do you make the holes on the bin’s lid?

Bin & Tubes

Nicky: For the bigger hole to fit the tubes through I used a Stanley knife, it took me an hour to an hour & a half to do but I wanted the hole to be perfect so that the tube would fit snuggly. For the smaller holes I just used a drill, I can’t remember what size it was, it was the biggest one I could find.

HH: What are your views after using this set up for some time?

Nicky: One downside I have is that it’s pretty difficult to gain access to Crush when he is in the Rotastak because he will just run into a tube if you go to pick him up. But on the whole, I find it easy to clean and assemble once you’ve done it a few times. Crush loves the tubes. I find that the Rotastak provides smaller spaces for Crush to nest in whilst the bin provides him space to run around and allows a bigger wheel.

Interior
A look inside the bin’s interior

Related Links::

sunflower seed Proud of your hamster’s cage?

sunflower seed You can submit your hamster homes photos via HH Forum or Flickr

1 HoppingHammy April 23, 2008 at 7:58 pm

Nicky: Great home for your hamster!! I love all the different compartments Crush is able to explore, and the fact you took note of his needs and added on the bin for a bigger wheel, more space, etc. You are a wonderful hamster owner!

wiffy: Thank you again for posting such great reviews on these hamster homes. I look forward to these articles each month :)

2 dusty April 23, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Great setup for your hamster! The tube looks like fun! I like how it connects to a bin. Yeah, I agree that Crush is a fortunate hamster to have such a caring owner.

3 wiffy April 23, 2008 at 10:59 pm

Hopping: The featured ham homes will be a weekly write-up, well hopefully I can keep up, lol! :D

Nicky: Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful set up with all of us! :)

4 phll363 April 24, 2008 at 12:40 am

crush’s cage looks great

5 christmas_hamster April 24, 2008 at 2:45 am

Wow that looks awesome and nice bin aswell!

6 shara83 April 25, 2008 at 3:41 am

Wow! Very lucky hammy ^_^
Wow, must be difficult to go:
“Time for your stroking and play time, Crush! *searches all of the cage*”
But thats a good thing!
He is a very lucky hammy to hav an owner like you to spend your money and time doing that awesome cage for him!

7 Bianca April 26, 2008 at 5:02 am

Wow, that is one lucky hamster! :D
Crush has an amazing set up :XO:
If I were a hamster, I’d totally live there :P

8 DolphinDreamer April 27, 2008 at 1:51 am

That is a very nice cage. I love your puzzle playground set up!!!!!!!!!! :)

9 Hannah June 19, 2008 at 9:18 am

Lilly:Are you sure that your hamster is ableto climb up that tube if so you have one talented hamster

10 sarah August 28, 2008 at 5:53 am

at first was ur hamster confused about the tubes becuse i just got mine and he is confused and he on stays on the first level of the cage only

11 sarah August 30, 2008 at 7:36 am

crush is so cute

12 hammie_ham October 20, 2008 at 2:58 am

How do you get the Habitrail wheel to stand on its own? I took it out of my habitrail cage because my dwarf Snowbell couldn’t turn it (too big), so I put in her old Silent Spinner and I wanted to use the wheel from the habitrail for peaches, but I don’t know how to get it to stand on its own.

13 Emily February 28, 2009 at 3:38 am

great bin! just wondering if u ran into problems with ventilation?

14 bre-bre May 12, 2010 at 10:52 am

NICE that is my kind of hamster home!!! its not too big and not to crammed and not to small its absoultly perfect !!!!!

15 Rotastak Hamster Cages February 16, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Good ones! But there may create problem with ventilation.